Eye Surgery.
This year, for an early birthday present, Jeff gave me eye surgery. Ladies, please don't start calling the house and asking if he has any friends like him; the fact is that he is one-of-a-kind and I'm the luckiest woman on the planet. Ever since my first vision test in 1st grade, one that I failed with flying colors, I have been conscious of the fact that I could not see as well as most of the people on the earth. As of yesterday morning, my vision weighed in at -10.0, which means that I could barely see enough to move around my own home. I have been wearing glasses since 1st grade, contacts since 8th, and I have spent the last 21 years of my life subconsciously embarrassed and terrified of my diminishing eyesight.
Enter: Jeff. Of course, Jeff didn't come with the idea, he just knows how to listen. He says that for the few years we've known each other, I have consistently mentioned wanting to get "the eye surgery". I don't remember saying this much, but I do know that one of my desires was to have eye surgery before having children for safety reasons since I would be left so often alone with the kids. Apparently, Jeff knows how to make a girl feel special because he diligently saved the money for me to have the surgery. Of course, he said it was my decision, and that I didn't have to rush, but that the money was there when I wanted it. All that was left was for me to overcome the last remaining hurdle: fear.
Now, with all the anxiety I had about not being able to see, I found I had a much greater amount about what I would have to go through to be able to see. At least NOT being able to see isn't particularly painful or uncomfortable. When it is painful or uncomfortable, usually I have experienced it before and am phased by it. Eye surgery, on the other hand, seems like a creepy, expensive invasion into my privacy with questionable results. Hip surgery? Sure! Brain surgery? Of course! Open-heart quadruple by-pass? Anytime! But eye-surgery? Heck no!
Come to find out, my eye doctor, Dr. Faulkner, is one of the best eye surgeons in the state of Hawaii. He is the only one with this special laser thing and plus he bakes cookies for his patients on surgery day, and the combination of those two things sold me on the surgery. If you really want to know more about the whole thing, email me and I'll happily share, but for the purposes of the blog I'll cut to the chase and say that I decided to bite the proverbial bullet and take a chance on a surgery that could potentially change my life...
No comments:
Post a Comment