I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED!

Check out my new blog at

www.AlabamaMama.blogspot.com!

See you there...

Technology withdrawal.

In the last week, I have worked at two jobs, volunteered 3 hours at the zoo, and talked to a total of 5 people, not counting work colleagues or the lemurs. Since I turned off my Red Cross cell phone for the final time on Tuesday afternoon, I have been experiencing some serious technology withdrawal. My new job doesn't allow employees to use the internet for ANYTHING personal, and to that effect has blocked access to anything fun on the internet. (Don't misunderstand, I think this is probably a good idea over all, it was just a bit of a shock to someone who daily corresponds with friends, family, and dozens of of other bloggers via the internet. Not to mention the countless hours I have become accustomed to spending looking at new shoes, vacation opportunities, and high school classmates in an effort to pass the time.)

So, on Tuesday I had drinks with Jaime to discuss life and eye-surgery. My eyes are doing great, and I am thankful that she did not tell me about her "we found something lodged in your eye" story before my surgery. I am, however, amazed that she could keep that a secret after countless hours of chatting about the surgery beforehand. Regardless, the important part is that we can both see great now! My doctor did find some wrinkles in the flap, and promptly asked me if I had been rubbing my eye. Thank you, NO. I have NOT been rubbing my eye. (Maybe I did a little a couple of times, accidentally and only around the outside, but I could not confess to that in the face of my doctor.) After settling that, he said that the wrinkles are normal, everyone has them - even him, and that they are not affecting my vision so he wouldn't worry about them. (They WHY did he scare the crap out of me asking if I had been rubbing my eye!) After the ten minutes of eye-massaging he did with a little metal plunger that slowly massaged each eye right into my brain, I could not drive myself home for the raging headache. Never again will I go to the eye doctor thinking they're just going to do a quick check.

That night, I made a lovely dinner of shrimp and grits for Tricia and me. Yum! The next day I had off and used to buy a new chair for our living room. It's beautiful. Jeff says it looks and feels like a greyhound. Since our landlord won't let us have a dog, this will be as close as we'll get to having a pet. (The worms not withstanding.) In order to pick up the chair, I had to rent a van from UHaul, dispose of our old loveseat which was in such bad shape that even the Salvation Army would not accept it, return the UHaul, all before Jeff got home. The day was hectic and fun and I got to see two of Oahu's finest dumps. Excellent. The whole thing is, of course, very depressing when you think about the fact that our old loveseat is not at the bottom of a large stinking hole, but I'm not sure whatelse to do short of burning it for s'mores. Any ideas would be welcome.

I have to run because Jeff and I are using the computers at the library, and our time is almost up. We're off to look at cell phones and computers, both of which we desperately need. Wish us luck!

No comments: