I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED!

Check out my new blog at

www.AlabamaMama.blogspot.com!

See you there...

FloraBama Documentary

Last week, Jeff and I watched a documentary on the Florabama called "The Last American Roadhouse". For those of you who don't know, the Florabama is a bar that sits on the stateline between Florida and Alabama on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico. It has been the scene of many a rowdy night on the coast for the last 40 years and, given that it has survived Hurricane Ivan somewhat in tact, will be for years to come. The Florabama is an icon of southern beach culture, the destination for batchelorette parties and music lovers and hungover partiers on New Year's Day. It is perhaps most famous for the annual Mullet Toss which pits man against fish in a humongous party.

So, Jeff and I thought we were in for a treat when I found out about a documentary recently released on the topic. (Kudos to Mary Abigail who sent me the link to the "Gray Charles" Taylor Hicks appreciation site where I found out about the movie!) Unfortunately, I did not connect to the documentary as much as I had hoped, perhaps because of my age and perhaps because of the fact that I'm not a hard-livin', hard-drinkin' songwriter. The real problem is that the documentary is poorly named, in my opinion, and should be renamed to reflect the focus on the MUSIC of the establishment throughout the years.

Having said all of that, it's well-worth the $20 to see a piece of home for anyone who doesn't have access to the FloraBama on a daily basis. There's a link to the website in my "Favorites" list. I recommend ordering it, popping it in the DVD player, and kicking back with some fried mullet and a beer - preferably something cheap.

1 comment:

Mary Abigail said...

I just watched it! I thought it was really good. I knew about the Songwriters festival, but I didn't know the Florabama had such a singer/songwriter history. Loved all those old guys.

I wish I had seen someone I know when they showed scenes from the bar. hahaha..that would have been FUNNY! I did see Taylor HIcks at the beginning. But, he's not my friend. I mean, if I knew him he would be my friend. But I don't know him....yet.