I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED!

Check out my new blog at

www.AlabamaMama.blogspot.com!

See you there...

The First Week.

It's hard to believe that it's been a week since little Matthew Lanaux made his big debut. In that time, Jeff and I have become better parents, though we're still on a steep learning curve that I suspect will last a lifetime. Because we're working so hard for baby, we have been remiss in our communication and sharing of photos, but I hope this entry will more than make up for a week's worth of being out of touch.

On Saturday, I woke up in the hospital to the beautiful sight of my husband changing my child's diaper. I soon realized that the scene was more slapstick than romantic as Jeff first knocked over a bunch of things on the baby cart, then ended up with a diaper stuck to the bottom of his bare foot, only to have the baby choose that moment to let loose a geyser of urine. It early, very early, which is why Jeff wasn't yet on-the-ball, but the comedy value was priceless for two fatigued new parents. (Jeff has since honed his skills and is much better at soothing our crying baby and changing diapers than I am.)

On Sunday, we took Matthew home and were so excited to start our life together. We unpacked and settled in to a nice routine. I nursed every few hours or so and Jeff prepared excellent meals for the two of us. Nursing didn't come easily since Matthew is quite strong (as all of the hospital staff attested) and likes to have his hands protecting his face like a boxer. Slowly but surely, though, we got better and I can't thank Jeff enough for his late night wakings to help hold Matthew's hand back so that I could see! When he stops fighting long enough to fall asleep, he assumes what we like to call the "lion's pose". Very relaxed. Very king-0f-his-domain. He is a Leo after all.

On Monday, we went to the pediatrician for a follow-up appointment because she was worried about his jaundice level. I felt great that morning because I had actually found a way to take a shower, feed the baby, and arrive at our appointment on time. Sleep deprivation, hah! Then I looked down and realized that I had written Matthew's last name in as Cheesecake because the nurses were talking about cheesecake that one of them had brought in. So much for making a good impression. The pediatrician told us to put him in the sun a few times a day to bring the jaundice levels down, so Jeff spent some of the afternoon walking around our yard shirtless with a naked baby. Too cute.

On Tuesday morning, we were back at the doctor's office for another check of the jaundice. At that point, he hadn't pooped in quite a while and he had lost more than the acceptable 10% of his birthweight, so we were a little concerned. (The poop helps the jaundice, too.) She sent us to the lab for a blood test and that afternoon we were headed back to the hospital for treatment. Matthew would need to spent the next 12 hours or so under intense UV light to bring his jaundice levels down. Jeff and I were not happy to be heading back to the hospital, but we were looking forward to Matthew being in the nursery for a few hours so that we could catch up on our sleep. Turns out, the hospital allows rooming in with baby during this treatment, so that the parents can truly experience the sci-fi horror that is the blue billirubin light. Better yet, they only allow for one parent to stay, which understandably upset Jeff and I because we both feel that he is an essential part of Matthew's life - not to mention that he keeps me sane in those times when I've had enough. To top it all off, we had to share the room, separated by a curtain, with another family whose child was going through the same treatment. Luckily, the other family was very nice and not too loud, but the whole situation was far from ideal. Still, the important part was that Matthew get the treatment he needed, so Jeff and I rolled out some blankets and took turns sleeping on the floor.

On Wednesday morning, I woke up from a three-hour nap on the floor of the hospital feeling much better than I had anticipated the night before. I was frustrated that I had not been allowed to nurse Matthew while at the hospital because it would have taken him out from under the lights for too long. Instead, we fed him formula overnight, which he sucked down in no time, and I was left with many hours in a row of a sleeping baby. I felt much better prepared for the days and nights ahead, though I had no idea how difficult they would be. Matthew has not had any major problems breastfeeding, but it seems that the formula whet his appetite and stretched his little stomach (usually the size of his little fist) to the point where he is now hungry - and crying to express it - all the time. Jeff is a god at relaxing him and giving me some time to relax, too, but there's only so much he can do without boobs.

Yesterday, after a very long night, I got my thumb stuck in the diaper wipe dispenser. Seriously. I couldn't get it out. I had to call Jeff for help, which he did just as soon as he was able to stop laughing. The sleep deprivation is certainly taking its toll at this point, though I do feel better than I did last weekend. My body is healing well and I'm able to walk everyday with Matthew slung over my shoulder. It's so nice to feel his weight again and rub my hands on him like I did when he was still inside. He seems to like it, too. Our favorite thing that Matthew does is a little dance post-nursing that is difficult to describe without video. We are doing our best to get it on film, but he seems to sense our presence and won't perform until the camera has run out of batteries.

Today, we went to yet another doctor's appointment. Matthew is doing much better: he's up to 7 pounds 16 ounces and his jaundice level has decreased significantly. We also managed to fit in a visit to the lactation consultant who confirmed that I am, in fact, the greatest breastfeeding mother who ever lived. Or, at least, I think that's what she said. This afternoon, I even found a few minutes to water the garden, which was looking quite parched and neglected. Later our friend Mary Abigail came over with her 6-week old Jane Ritchie for a baby version of the Love Connection. Matthew nursed - no surprise - and Jane Ritchie was unhappy because she wasn't allowed to have any of the awesome cheese ball her momma brought over, so the whole match-making attempt was a bust. Still, it was a nice way to top off a pretty good week.

2 comments:

CAGB said...

Hi! I know I don't know you, but I've followed your pregnancy through Mary. Super congratulations - your son looks perfect! :o)

M said...

Hey guys,
sounds like an exciting week...there's definately more to come!! Good luck, it sounds like both of you are doing an excellent job. Tell the family I said hello- Wade