I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED!

Check out my new blog at

www.AlabamaMama.blogspot.com!

See you there...

Fussy Baby.

Since returning from the hospital last week, Mr. Matthew has become quite the fussy baby. There's no way to tell, but Jeff and I are convinced that the hours in the sensory deprivation chamber, away from his parents' calming touch, sent him right over the edge. He now insists on eating every hour on the hour, for about half and hour, giving me just enough time to pee before clocking back in at the milk factory. We think we've decoded some of the cues, but mostly that's just us feeling like geniuses because it finally occurred to one of us to check his diaper. We were doing so well last week and now we seem to have turned the corner from "crisis-management" to "This is Your Life!" and no one is reacting with as much frustration as the Bean.


Still, things haven't been all bad. We go for walks every day and try to beat the late summer Hawaiian heat. We sit around and laugh at how naive we were to think that getting through the first two weeks with baby wouldn't be as hard as giving birth to the little guy. We also spend a lot of time reading about babies, which helps convince us that we are very lucky that Matthew has not decided to scream inconsolably for hours. (We are also not leaving the house for fear that Matthew will come in contact with one of those babies who will subliminally implant the idea that he COULD do something like scream for hours.)


If there were any doubt that Matthew is simply not happy with us as parents at the moment, check out what happened yesterday during one of our nursing sessions:


4 comments:

CAGB said...

Our daughter, Eleanor, does the same thing. And, now she does it when she'd actually ticked off. Nice.

CAGB said...

she'S

Anonymous said...

My advice is to nurse, nurse, nurse. Use a sling or a front carrier and keep him close. This phase does not last forever. Eventually, he will become that sweet little baby that you envisioned having when you found out you were pregnant. The first few weeks must be tolerated. It will get easier. I promise.

Emily

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sarah. Reading your blog has taken me back to Enrique's infancy. It is so hard, isn't it? It does get easier. And I assure you that it is so worth it. If it weren't, I wouldn't be doing it again :-) (or maybe I'm just plain crazy!!)