I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED! I'VE MOVED!

Check out my new blog at

www.AlabamaMama.blogspot.com!

See you there...

Tummy Time.



Matthew doesn't really like to be on his tummy, which is no surprise to his parents because he doesn't seem to like much except boobs and milk. We know that he needs to strengthen his neck muscles, though, so we place him on his tummy a couple of times a day to "play". He fusses and fusses, but he also moves his head from side to side and then acts like Superman by holding his head, arms, and legs up all at the same time. The only down time to tummy time is that we are slowly strengthening a child who is already quite strong. This added strength is then turned against us later when Matthew decides that he doesn't want to be held, rocked, swung, bounced, or generally soothed in his parents arms. Along with the ear-piercing screams, Matthew also pushes us away with well-toned arms and legs. I look forward to the day when Matthew develops some coordination to go with his strength. I think he'll be happier. I really, really hope he'll be happier.

In other news, my first day back at work went well. At least, I think it did. I don't know that anyone measuring output would agree, but luckliy we don't have an efficiency consultant on staff. I am proud to say that I was at work on-time and no one else was there! Ahhh...work life in Hawaii. I spent the first couple of hours checking lots of email. The next two hours were spent figuring out how to discreetly use a breast pump at work. What an awkward situation that is. I finally found a spot in the small server room, but then I struggled to figure out what to write on the sign for the door. The only time we ever use the word "breast" at work, we're talking about cancer. The very worst part of the whole pumping situation (which I normally don't mind at home) is that I decided to pump both breasts at the same time, which had the unwanted side effect of leaving me without a hand to eat my snack with! I sat there for fifteen minutes looking longingly at my strawberry bagel and trying to figure out how to eat it with no hands. It was quite difficult.

I might been more productive if I had had more than two hours of sleep the night before. Matthew had given Jeff and I three nights of pretty good sleep, only to forget all that he had learned on the night before my first day. He even peed all over the bed for the first time, which didn't matter to me much because I spent the rest of the night trying to get him back to sleep. I was successful at about 6AM and woke from the couch at 7AM to get ready. I'm hoping tonight goes better. I really, really hope. I love this little guy more each day, and I am more humbled each day by the challenges of parenting him. Until we figure this out, we'll continue to take it day by day, taking a few minutes out each day for tummy time!

3 comments:

CAGB said...

Hey there! So, I pump often, and have been doing it for about four months. And, since double pumping is best AND you probably like having hands, here is what I did...Go to any superstore and buy a crappy (less $) zip front (very important) sports bra. Then simply cut small holes where the flange tube can go. Tada! Secure enough, hands free, pumping will actually become a time to read, relax, etc. Hope this helps. :o) PS. Matthew Lanaux is adorable and so expressive!

CAGB said...

PPS- Skipped the instruction step. The flange then obviously goes on your skin, and the flange tube goes through the bra, which then zips to hold the whole thing in place. Then, the bottles go on the tube as normal.

:o)

Anonymous said...

one day at a time is all you can do :-) I pumped with Enrique and am going to pump with this little one. It is a challenge, but Matthew will appreciate it very much (and so will your breasts). It will get a bit easier with time. I used to put a sign like "do not disturb" or "Room in Use" or something subtil until I still had some nurses walk in on me. I then put up a sign that said "pumping: Enter at your own risk." That seemed to keep people out :-)